It’s May! Time for a Midtown Hub Update!
- We have continued to have great meetings at City Hall with Councillor Matlow, Parks, Forestry and Rec representatives, and Partnerships representatives.
- We held a successful visioning session in February at the Berwick with community residents brainstorming all age groups, programming needs and spaces.
- The city of Toronto and TDSB are currently in very positive negotiations to build a new Community & Aquatic Centre on a piece of land adjacent to the new Davisville PS. The new school will be built thanks to the TDSB receiving $14.7M funding from the province.
- This collaboration with the City and TDSB is a very special project that requires many meetings with their teams working creatively to do the best for our community.
- In addition they are exploring the opportunity to include underground parking to support the school and community centre and help preserve green space.
- We are hoping for confirmation in the coming weeks of a successful agreement on the project.
- The Midtown Hub group has continued to meet with several experts in development and programming and financing to support the project as soon as it is fully approved.
- The Midtown Hub Group has been connecting with the Midtown in Focus planning group to continue to highlight the need for community infrastructure here and look for opportunities plus sharing our feedback from community workshops
- As we learn more about the projected growth, we are opening up our scope of need to look at opportunities throughout midtown
- The Midtown Hub Group is also developing a complementary proposal to create additional hub destinations in purpose built condo podiums that would optimize the ground floor and 2nd or 3rd floors of condo developments. This will be explored further with the city, province and partners this summer.
- We have appointed an accountant for Midtown Hub!
- We will be meeting with various partners and government representatives to continue to highlight the need and opportunities
- We are planning another community consultation in Midtown to talk about Youth and the gaps in programming and destinations
- We have connected with a marketing partner to begin developing a communication plan for the Midtown Hub
- We will be establishing a fundraising plan and potential events for the community to come together and support the Hub project
How can you help?
- Volunteer! We need people with fundraising and social media expertise!!
- Share! tell your friends, neighbours, companies and organizations to connect with us
- Donate! Please stay tuned for fundraising events coming soon!