For many years, our fast-growing midtown community has needed community space. Ward 22 is the only ward in the City of Toronto without a community centre.
Now, thanks to years of hard work by our City Councillor, Josh Matlow, our TDSB Trustee, Shelley Laskin, staff at the City and TDSB, midtown community members and all of us at MidtownHub.ca, we will be getting a community centre for our more than 65,000 residents!
This great news came to us on Friday, July 15, 2016, when Toronto City Council voted 31-4 in favour of a City staff recommendation that a Midtown Community Hub be built on the southwest corner of the Davisville school site. This will place the hub along Davisville Ave., adjacent to what will be the new Davisville Jr. PS.
This means that in addition to a new Davisville school, which is planned to be open by September 2020, we will have:
– a 3-storey 30,000 sf aquatic centre & swimming pool!
– a general use community room
– an underground parking garage under the school
– expanded triple-gym capacity, for use by the school during the day and by the community evenings and weekends
– rooftop green space with a patio and walking path
Our meetings with other community groups and advocates, and our conversations with hundreds of fellow midtown residents have made it clear that there are many needs for programming and facilities.
The Midtown Community Hub that will be built on the Davisville school site is a terrific achievement, something we can all be proud of. It shows just how much can be accomplished when community members work together with our representatives to advocate for what we need.
The Midtown Hub group is energized by the success of the community effort to get a hub on the Davisville school site and is examining ways we can bring even more facilities and programming to our booming community.
How can you help?
- Help us connect with your own community or business organization to help us get the word out. Please use the form below to get in touch.
- Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and follow our blog for updates.
Stay connected for future updates and events!